I find myself hanging onto a few quotes and principles, this is my attempt to organize all of them. One day, I’ll figure out what I stand for haha.
- If it's guaranteed, it's guaranteed to fail
- I kinda made this one up, it’s a sort of manifestation of the “complacency is the only enemy”
- Every time I thought I had something in the bag, it was because I didn’t know enough about the ways that it could fail
- Go where your people are
- I’ve tried optimizing my life for materialistic things, and it kinda just sucks. All of it boils back down to a Faustian Bargain
- The biggest risk we face is the risk of not living a fulfilling life (not the risk of failure)
- Heard this from John Koelliker, at Contrary Retreat 2022
- Ideas are useless, execution is everything.
- All motivation issues stem from a lack of value provided by the work being done
- A more nuanced case is that the value is not being perceived
- Plans are worthless, planning is everything
- This was the first line on my onboarding page at SpaceX manufacturing
- My manager had a copy of The Toyota Way on his desk haha, great man
- You have to seek feedback!
- You don’t know what you don’t know
- Complacency is the only enemy
- One of the many phrases that Elon would frequently repeat at work
- It is 10x harder to build the machine that builds the machine
- It’s 100x harder to build the team that builds the machine that builds the machine
- Invest in your people :)
- Everything always wants to be a high-volume product
- Even the lowest volume things (like rockets) actually would love to be high volume. More rockets mean more test articles mean safer rockets.